About Daily Messages
The Daily Message system is meant to convey timely information from and to members of the Williams community. Based on the criteria listed below, the communications office manages and approves daily messages submissions. You’ll receive a confirmation from us if your message is approved or an explanation if it isn’t.
- Messages should pertain to news, events, and information concerning Williams College and be of interest to the intended audience(s). Any viewpoints expressed are those of the events organizers, and Williams does not necessarily endorse or oppose them.
- Only one message per event or announcement will be accepted for the faculty and staff editions, except for critical or urgent matters (for example, messages from OIT, deans, security, dining services, and facilities). If you wish these posted more than once, please submit your request by phone to the communications office at x4277.
- You may send two messages per event or announcement to the student edition if desired.
- Commercial messages, lost and found notices, fundraising efforts, messages about the sale of goods or services, or messages promoting or recruiting for outside organizations will not be accepted.
- Language should be appropriate for distribution to a broad audience with diverse values, beliefs, and sensitivities.
- Invitations to participate in human subjects research (surveys, behavioral studies, etc.) will only be accepted if the project is conducted or sponsored by a Williams faculty member and has been approved or exempted by the college’s Institutional Review Board.
- Students may submit Daily Messages about surveys only for the purposes of thesis research. Communications will confirm such requests with thesis advisers.
- In order to control the volume of surveys on campus, messages about other surveys that do not meet the above research requirements will not be accepted.
- To be eligible to post a message, you must be a member of the Williams community and have a williams.edu email address. Submissions are accepted only from representatives of administrative and academic departments, programs and centers, and recognized student organizations. If posted by a student, the message summary must include a student organization’s name.
- Events hosted by someone who is not a member of the Williams community may not be posted to Daily Messages. Off-campus events, unless sponsored by a Williams department or registered student organization, may not be posted to Daily Messages.
- Williams neither endorses nor opposes any political candidate or organization. The views expressed at college events involving political candidates or campaigns are solely those of the organizers and/or speakers.
The Communications Office cannot guarantee publication of submitted material and is not responsible for inaccurate information received.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about Daily Messages.
The deadline for submission of messages is 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. There is no service on Saturday or Sunday.
You may submit a message and mark it for delivery many days hence. It will be approved the day before you’ve marked it for delivery.
A Quick Overview of the Online Submission Process
- Go to Add New Event/Announcement to add a new announcement.
- Log in with your Williams username and password. If you have trouble with authentication, call the Faculty/Staff (x4090) or Student (x3088) support desks in Jesup.
- The submission form will appear on your screen. Follow the onscreen instructions, which include selecting the audience your message is intended for and the date you want the message to run. If you are a student, you must note which student organization you are representing in the department/organization box.
- Select your audience. There are three editions of Daily Messages: for students, faculty, and staff. Select one or more of your target audiences on the form. Messages for a predominantly student audience should not be posted to the faculty or staff editions.
- Messages must have a headline.
- Do not capitalize the headline of your submission; use caps and lower case. Make the headline as specific as you can in the limited space, including day, date, and time.
- Messages are limited to 240 characters (a message preview appears below the message you enter). If you have a longer message, put a summary in the message box, and then post the full text in the box marked “Long message.”
- Please make event messages specific as to the day and date of the event advertised (for example, Tuesday, Sept. 1).
Corrections to Submissions
You’re responsible for the accuracy and completeness of each submission. Once you’ve submitted a message, you can’t edit the content. Call the Communications Office at X4277 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you realize you’ve made an error, or have any questions about the submission process.
Maybe Williams Switchboard is a better place for your message?
Switchboard is a bulletin board that lets you ask for what you need and offer what you have within the Williams community. Whether you’re faculty, staff, student or alumni, use Switchboard to connect with people who share your interests.
Visit the Williams Switchboard site: https://williams.switchboardhq.com/